Position: Civil Engineer
Reports to: Technical Director
Department: Engineering & Technical Services
Duty Station: Kampala (With frequent travel to project sites across Uganda & East Africa)
Work type: Full Time
Duration of Contract: 6 Months
Hydro Concepts Uganda Limited is a leading Engineering Consulting Firm in Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH).
We offer a range of services in majority of water and sanitation disciplines, including but not limited to design and construction of drainage and irrigation systems, rain water harvesting systems, artificial aquifer recharge systems, plumbing, wastewater treatment, water supply systems, hydrology, and non-revenue water management.
Our vision is to redefine the Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, and Planning in Africa.
With a suite of projects, strong partnerships, and a growing portfolio of work, Hydro Concepts Uganda Limited seeks to engage an experienced Civil Engineer, to join our team who meets technical competences in designing, planning and analysis of project activities.
S/he will initiate strategies to promote and market our numerous products and services to different clients, ensuring the company competes effectively in the market. The Civil Engineer will offer technical supervision for various ongoing projects, in order to deliver outstanding project outcomes for our clients
The Engineering Department is led by the Technical Director, who manages a team of civil, water, and electromechanical engineers by providing technical direction on business strategies that ensure the company consistently delivers superior technical solutions to clients.
Broadly, the goal of Hydro Concepts Uganda Limited Engineering team is to provide technical expertise in planning, designing and overseeing construction and maintenance of numerous water, sanitation and drainage infrastructure for a wide range of clients
The Civil Engineer will be responsible for designing, planning and analysis of project performance; and reporting in line with the company’s strategic objectives.
The position holder will also be responsible for undertaking robust marketing and sales for our products and services to both existing and potential new clients.
S/he will complete tasks assigned by the supervisor such as assisting in conducting research, developing technical designs, blueprints, and specifications for engineering projects, and writing technical reports.
The ideal candidate should have a high technical aptitude and ability to come up with original ideas and creative solutions that can be translated into economic value for the company, thus positioning the company to be the leading provider of products and services in the Water and Sanitation arena
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Read blueprints and drawings, understand and design plans, outlining the key variables and what needs to be changed prior to the construction
- Able to place bids and call for tenders ensuring that all rules, regulations and guidelines are fulfilled
- Able to undertake robust marketing and sales for products and services to both existing and potential new clients
- Carry out feasibility studies and assist in conducting research, developing technical designs, blueprints, and specifications for engineering projects, and writing sound technical reports
- Develop detailed technical design layouts, keeping the requirements of the client in mind
- Make budgets, program, and track investment projects and strive to make the ideal balance between the price, quality, and time obligations
- Assess and bring to notice if any discrepancies in drawings, quantities and rates as well as make necessary changes if any
- Keep an eye on surveying works (confirm the boundaries correctly) and setting out (plotting or marking of the plan on field)
- Check on safety measures taken by people working on site as well as resolve technical issues arising, if any, during execution of work
- Keeping record of drawings, technical reports and site diary
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Sanitary Engineering, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering or other related fields is essential from a recognized university
- Skills and knowledge of engineering software e.g. AutoCAD, GIS, EPANET, ArcGIS
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Have practical knowledge of water and sanitation disciplines
- Decision making and assessment skills
- Technical competence
- Good report writing skills
- Must be willing and able to travel periodically
- Flexibility regarding working hours and days
- Good communication skills
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others
How to Apply
To apply, please download the application form below, fill, and submit the filled form below . Do NOT make any submissions by email, or attach any certificates at this stage. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification
Deadline: 30th December 2021 at midnight
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks after application deadline, please accept with regret that your application has not been successful